Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Baby Corn Freak Out!


I don't know about you, but baby corn cobs at salad bars freak me out. So today I thought I would do a little research on baby corn and tell you a few freaky facts:
  • Baby corn is just immature ears of regular corn
  • Baby corn ears are picked by hand immediately when the silks emerge from the ear tips or a few days after.
  • Depending on the variety, kernals can be white, yellow, blue or even pink!
  • Corn matures quickly, so the harvest must be timed carefully to avoid ending up with normal corn ears.
  • Baby corn ears are generally 4.5cm to 10cm in length and 7mm to 17mm in diameter.
  • Baby corn is an important crop from Thailand and Taiwan.
  • Baby corn is typically eaten whole, cob and all, in contrast to mature corn, whose cob is typically too hard for human consumption.
  • It is consumed both raw and cooked.

I thought making this list might convince me that it is safe to eat these baby corn cobs, but I'm still not convinced. Do you know there are actual pamphlets and websites devoted to baby corn? I'm so scared right now. Baby corn frightens me almost as much as capers do.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Okay, I can see why baby corn might frighten you, but capers? Capers are DELICIOUS! Weird, but delicious. Mmm...now I want some Chicken Piccata.

Anonymous said...

Don't know why it's ok to eat some babies and not others. In other news, I found that if you mix diet Dr. Pepper and Sugar Free Red Bull, it tastes good, and it has lots of caffeine, and it tastes good...to me.

Thank you,
Gary Sause
Musical Director of Music.

P.S. We need to discuss the policy of the letter C for Clarendon.